Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stolen!

My bike got stolen yesterday. I'm really bummed. I ran some errands around 3pm, trying to get some Christmas lights and stockings. Christmas stuff is selling out like crazy here. We got one of the last Christmas trees yesterday (and it cost $90 for a 5 ft tree) because the Home Depot, the grocery stores, the little stands on the street, were all sold out. I've been unable to find lights. We're making our own ornaments.

Anyway, the Walmart (2 blocks from our house) was PACKED full with people. Two different Salvation Army groups were in front. My bike was locked to the bike rack in between the Salvation Army groups. There were a lot of bikes there, although when I looked later a lot of them looked suspiciously broken and rusted out. In the 45 minutes or so that I was in there, someone stole it. It was just a front suspension mountain bike, not one of those $1000 Boulder bikes, but nicer than a lot of the cruisers and beaters around here. The worst is that it was packed with little add-ons - my split seat, my handlebars for short people, my headlamp's bracket, and worst of all - the trailer bike hitch, which we had to order from the UK because no one in the US sells it. We use our bikes to commute and Leo LOVES his trailer bike, so I need to figure out a new way to get to work and to get Leo to preschool. Anyway, it's hard to feel the aloha or the Christmas spirit this weekend.

No comments: