Friday, April 23, 2010

What if I kill someone?

We got a free book from Playfair Toys as part of their push for child literacy (somehow I doubt Boulder literacy is down these days but we like books!) - Always. It's about how a mom tells her kid that she will always love him no matter what. I asked if Leo if I loved him even though he made a mess - he said yes. I said even if he didn't eat and he said yes. I said even if he drew on the cork floor with a pen and said yes. I asked if I would love him no matter what and he said no. I asked what he would have to do for me not to love him. He said if he killed someone I would not love him. I was stumped. We'd never talked about something like that before. I said what if it was a bad guy and he was trying to hurt Leo? We decided there could potentially be acceptable reasons for killing someone. We discussed car accidents where someone died. And then finally I told him that even if he killed someone and it wasn't an accident and it wasn't a bad guy, that I'd still love him no matter what.

1 comment:

Supivora said...

Soon he'll know what unconditional love is :)