Friday, September 9, 2011

Experimentation

Leo loves experiments. As I write, he's mixing glue and hot cocoa powder and who knows what else in a cup on the dinner table. I can't wait to clean up.

Last night we went to a community dinner, which was great fun, and Leo overhead Lily's mom talking about avoiding foods high in sodium. Leo perked up, "sodium?" He has a fascination with sodium ever since I told him about the Great Sodium Drop in college where we dropped sodium in the Charles River and watched it burn. I explained, "no, not elemental sodium, just sodium chloride". He's like, "oh, salt". Lily's mom said, "maybe you can play with some dry ice?" Leo said, "and maybe some liquid hydrogen?"

Tonight I got the annual physics at MIT magazine which basically talks about how great the research at MIT is and begs for money. I said, "hey Leo, you'll like this, it's all about physics experiments." He opened it up to a section on kids touring Junior Lab, which is the junior level yearlong death physics class. You spend an entire year recreating all the classic physics experiments of the last 200 years. It's death, because it's way too much work - it's really hard to get those experiments to work right and you have to write them all up in gory detail. Anyway, I said, "This is Junior Lab where you get to spend a whole year doing nothing but physics experiments." Leo said, "YAY! I can't wait to take Junior Lab!"

It's great fun creating a warped child.

No comments: