Saturday, January 15, 2011

More snow and wind

Today was Leo's second day of skiing. I have a video that I can't seem to upload. It was a horridly windy day, as well as cold, and the kids pretty much didn't want to have anything to do with skiing or being outside. I was really lucky that I was able to transfer Leo successfully to his class - our friend's Carter and Cindy were not as lucky and spent the day teaching their kid themselves even though they'd paid for lessons.

I had scouted for him at the end of the day, this time at the beginner/teaching slopes with the magic carpet and kid's chairlift. No Leo. He wasn't in the hot cocoa hut or the toddler slope either. At the end of the day, the kids arrived and Leo said he'd had a good day.

It wasn't until dinner time that we found out more of what happened today:
  • He did the kid's chairlift by himself for the first time
  • He spent the last run of the day on the adult beginner chairlift and couldn't get off the chairlift (the instructor wasn't on that chair to help) and started to go down the chairlift!
  • On the kid's chairlift, he and another kid were hitting their skis together. He hit his so hard that a ski fell off. He had to get off the lift and ski part way down the hill on one ski.
I know, it makes you wonder if group lessons are the right thing. I guess everyone learns from their wacky moments. I think if I were to do it over, I'd do a few individual lessons and skip the group thing, which involves a lot of standing around in the wind and cold. They learn so quickly that a few lessons each year might be all they need.

No comments: