Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fun Gully

Leo and I went up to Eldora again today. It was a powder day! Which was hard because I could only ski an hour on the frontside before meeting Leo for lunch which he didn't eat. Got in a couple glorious hours on the backside before coming back to the lodge though. Leo was crying when I found him. Apparently he had fallen, lost both his skis and LOST both his skis in the deep powder. And of course, he only had two bites of a sandwich for lunch so he was hungry and tired. He wouldn't let me carry him and he wouldn't take a lollipop. He CRAWLED on his hands and knees 50 feet to the lodge. He then insisted on finding his instructor (there are 100 of them, I think, on weekends) to find out how many runs he'd done. Finally, I thought I might be making headway to carry him to the bus to get to the car and pick up our skis later, when he insisted on doing Fun Gully, which I had promised we'd do a week ago.

Eldora has all these little kids things - a teepee made of logs that you can ski through, a tunnel, and a little gully with animal sculptures in it. So we did Fun Gully, which meant me carrying our gear up a couple hills to the EZ lift. He can do the lift just fine, doesn't even need to slow it down. He seems very comfortable turning, and snow plowing and skiing with his legs parallel although with a very wide stance. I think I could probably take him on a lot of the mountain skiing like that. I followed him into the gully and we skied up and down the sides, sort of like a little half pipe. We had so much fun we did it twice then headed home into a morass of terrible ski traffic and multiple accidents and yuckiness.

No comments: