Saturday, October 1, 2011

Overscheduled!

I've been driving Leo nuts for a couple days, probably the same way I drive Paul nuts. Yesterday, after school, we had a quick early supper, then the Bear Creek School Carnival which was a fundraiser event that his friends were attending. Then we met his friends for a quick pizza and headed to Mari's (Thank you Mari! It's been a hard two weeks with Paul gone) where Leo was having a sleepover.

This morning I picked them all up at 7:45 to get breakfast and then go to soccer. After 3 bad practices/games in a row, Leo actually stayed the whole time and played and kicked the ball a few times too. He said he had fun. Then we had a quick lunch and I had to drag him to the mountain bike clinic. It was Leo's first dirt riding. The new Valmont Bike Park has super huge jumps and tricks for great bikers as well as beginner trails and features. We did the clinic and Leo had a blast. He didn't want to leave. He did fall a few times and leave some blood on the trail. At one point, I got lost and we ended up on the intermediate trails and he rode a twisty steep bridge feature and sort of fell off the bike although not off the bridge, thankfully.

We get home in time for a quick shower to get the blood off and make dinner for the neighbors who have just had their second kid and the husband is out of town. Again, I thought he had fun - he loves little kids.

But there was a LOT of whining, fighting and even the first really nasty teenage comment - "I told you a MILLION times I want pizza!" I let him know in no uncertain terms that I'm not going to take attitude from him. Tonight, he finally found the words to explain that he never wanted to do any of this stuff, that he only wanted to play Legos, that he was tired, that he was really scared of the twisty bridge and he nearly fell off the bridge.

So, I've promised him a down day tomorrow. Nothing is planned. We can build Legos all day. I hope it goes better!

No comments: